Navigating Career Transitions
Sometimes quitting your job sucks.
You know you need to do it. But you also feel like you are leaving something BIG behind.
Perhaps you are having trouble settling on a clear direction or job to pursue. And perhaps your motivation is low at your current 9–5. (As it seems to be for most people).
So, this week, Let’s Eat, Grandma resume service interviewed Clara Chorley, an expert in career transitions, to help job seekers with making big changes like this in their lives.
Clara Chorley, a top-producing career coach, focuses on these problems in the latest “Let’s Eat, Grandma” podcast.
OR Listen Now on iTunes
Who is Clara Chorley?
- Clara has worked and traveled through 44 countries and 5 continents, with a number of diverse organizations.
- She has founded her own business “Clarity Unlimited” to help professionals find jobs and build businesses that fulfill them, so they can have the impact they want to with their lives.
- After making 10 career transitions she finally figured out her own purposeful work, and by sharing her story, has been helping other professionals do the same.
Click here to find out more about Clara and the work she does as a Career Coach.
Lessons from Clara’s experience
- Don’t give up what’s important to you! Don’t settle for job desperation, only apply to jobs that excite you.
- Take a step back and see what you are capable of. Look for quality opportunities that utilizes your capabilities and to help you grow into the person you want to be.
- Find those impulses and they will lead you somewhere. Trust your gut when it is telling you it is time for a change.
- Have patience in your transition. Appreciate the process of career transitioning and have a sense of curiosity for the possibilities!
Dealing with emotional challenges
Being in the zone of confusion, the middle period between jobs, can be emotionally exhausting. However, Clara describes this period as a seed being planted within you, something is growing inside you.
- Release the old and welcome the new! Appreciate the process of growth and where you are currently in your life, but most importantly look towards the new opportunities in your future.
- Don’t withdraw from others during a transition. Stay connected and create more networking opportunities. In addition, if you are struggling, get help!
- Gain a better understanding of where you want to go in your career. Before you begin crafting your resume, understand where you want to go to ensure a targeted resume. In order to understand, imagine how you want to feel in your life first.
Clara illustrates how to push through in career transitions with many more tips in our podcast. Stay motivated in this time of struggle and keep your goals in mind to impact the world in a way that is important to you!